Ten Questions with Artist Alara
If you love artists and have a short attention span, our “10 questions” series is for you! We believe that you can learn a whole lot about a person by the reaction memes they love, and this week’s meme drop proves out our theorem. This week, we dip our toes into the inner-workings of Alara’s musical mind, and honestly, the water feels GREAT! So, dive in and enjoy:
- Your favorite reaction meme? it’s a toss up between a nodding mr. miyagi and a drunk denzel. both get the job done.
2. The artist you’ve had on repeat lately? searows. he’s a revelation and a treasure and so, so good.
3. Best piece of advice you’ve ever received? “who the fuck cares?” whenever i’m in my head and overthinking, whether it be about music or a life decision, i remember this and realize that i’m going to die and at some point no one’s going to remember me. so.. who the fuck cares? if you love it, go after it.
4. A book you’d recommend to everyone?
“crying in h mart”. i cried, laughed, and cried some more when i read this book. michelle zauner captures being a first-generation American (and a badass musician) so well. plus, the care she takes when describing her relationship with her mother made me want to hug every person in my wonderful family. i love this book. and her.
5. Something you wish you’d known about web3 earlier?
i’m actually glad i didn’t know anything about web3 when i flung myself into it. if i knew how time-consuming it would be when first starting out, i probably would’ve thought twice (y’all know what i’m talking about. ahem, spaces) but i’m happy everything happened the way it did. i’m grateful for everyone i’ve met and the way it’s all unfolded since.
6. The dumbest/weirdest NFT you own?
tbh a few too many to name. this one’s not dumb or weird but my lil alien fren looks like a pancake exploded on his head and i still love it.
7. Biggest mistake you’ve made in business and/or in web3?
not giving myself enough credit. when first starting in music, imposter syndrome got me good (and still does, sometimes). i always credited any wins i experienced to people around me, to the circumstance, or to chance. never validating my own hard work or the time i spent to end up in a situation that seemed “lucky”. i’m proud of not giving up when i could’ve.
i don’t know what my horoscope says but i was born in july. (that’s an actual lyric from a song of mine. and no, i don’t want to know when mercury is in retrograde but ty)
9. Where are you located & what’s the best meal in your city?
i lived in jersey for the longest time and will always love it but am now in brooklyn :) l’industrie might be my favorite pizza spot of all time. or at least in the U.S. the oil you pour on top is just so. fucking. good.
10. Projects of yours we should know about?
a project commemorating my web-3 anniversary is going to be released in november. then more on the way ~