We’re getting into it, talking everything from perceptual phenomena to turning arguments into art with Artist Pat Junior! In our latest edition of “10 Questions”, Pat shares the inspiration behind his newest single “Need That” featuring Iman Europe, details his rollout strategy, and talks about his experiences with synesthesia. Come for the insight, stay for the endearing nods to his wife (ps — when can we come over for a meal? we hear she’s cooking…)
- If you could have any superpower, but it had to be related to music, what would it be? I would want the ability for my synesthesia to become visually seen and felt by everyone who hears my music recordings and live. When I play live music people would experience the emotion with the song and see all the colors and images I feel when I wrote the song as I’m performing it. It would allow people to feel it on a deeper level.
- What is the most personal or meaningful song or piece you have created, and why does it hold such significance to you? I can’t say one song is more meaningful than another, but I will say the one that comes to mind when asked this question would be “Check On Me”. Not many people are open enough or may not know how to tell their friends they need to be checked on. I was in a place in my life where therapy encouraged me to be more vocal about this to my friends and so I got inspired to make a song expressing that. In turn I believe it helped some people express that or even ponder the importance of needing to be checked on.
- What new web3 tools are you experimenting with and what do you enjoy most about it? Well, I know A.I. art isn’t new (lol) but I love exploring with it to spark ideas for color palettes and even for music ideas. It helps specifically because of my synesthesia. When I see color/images and hear sounds (and vice versa). So seeing certain images allow me to come up with unique sound textures to produce when I’m making beats.
- How do you see web3 technologies shaping the future of music industry? One way I see it helping is fans being able to support artists in a bigger way rather than buying their music and streaming. It has the potential to be apart of the “merch” category for artists. Purchasing a t-shirt will be equal to purchasing a music NFT / collectible. I can even see it being included in a bundle: you buy a music NFT and you get the shirt, physical CD and ticket to an upcoming show. It also helps indie artists stay away from having to get a record or distribution deal if they don’t want to. Music NFTs can fund music videos, photo shots, social media ad money and more.
- Where are you located & what’s the best meal in your city? I’m located in Raleigh, NC and the best meal in my city is any time my Wife or my Mother cooks a meal…yes.
- What book are you reading currently? I’m reading several poetry books by the likes of Langston Hughes, Nikki Grimes, Paul L. Dunbar and more. The one that’s been intriguing to me the most is “One Last Word” by Nikki Grimes.
- In your opinion, what’s the best way to roll out a song or album?Creating an experience through a story / theme with visuals, pictures, and whatever else you can use to draw and entertain the viewer / listener. Tell your story in a big way. Make the rollout a movie.
- What’s the craziest or most unexpected thing that’s inspired a song? An argument with my wife inspired the triumphant and heart felt song that is now known as “Need That” featuring Iman Europe. I never thought an argument could inspire an upbeat song that has a warm feeling to it.
- What advice would you give someone entering into web3? Time management and knowing what you want out of it is important. I think it’s easy to get caught up in the busyness of web3 and lose track of your creativity and time given to true passions when trying to keep up with its fast pace. Alas, it happened to yours truly. However, I think it’s the responsibility of the person onboarding someone to let them know their experience, what they’ve learned and challenge that individual to ponder these things before stepping in. Knowing what you want out of web3 will help you manage your time working and communicating within the network.
10. Projects of yours we should know about?
“Need That” feat. Iman Europe is out now on Sound.xyz and all streaming platforms.